Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Naples Library Presentation

It's been a long time since I've added any information to this blog. Last nights presentation at the Naples Public library motivated me to do an updated. Thanks for those who attended the presentation. It was nice to meet new people that share my interest in the history of the Finger Lakes. Some how in the process of wrapping things up I lost the contact information a few folks shared with me. If you have any information on cairns hidden in the woods please contact me at: keukashoe@mac.com

Also, one member of the audience correctly pointed out that I was making assumptions about the  transition from the early woodland/moundbuilder culture to the Iroquois culture. I am not an expert. I am an amateur historian who gave a free presentation on a topic of interest. I presented the idea that the Seneca (sorry if the use of the name Seneca is politically incorrect. I just find it less confusing. I mean no offence) or Haudenosaunee were a rather brutal warrior based society and took the land by force. That was an assumption based on the archeological evidence that dates the construction of palisaded forts found in this area to the time of that transition, the Seneca's history of military conquest, and the archeological evidence that documents a marked change in the artifacts found before and after the transitional period. Maybe it was a peaceful transition like the one from the Seneca culture to the American culture (sarcasm intended). Either way I make no judgement on the Seneca people. Were they a powerful war like people, yes, that is not meant to be an insult. I would not presume to view the people of the past with my comfortable modern day cultural viewpoint. Thanks again to those that attended the presentation.

For more information on the topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seneca_people

Moundbuilder artifacts

No comments: